Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Living Room Fires in a Pineville Property

2/1/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Living Room Fires in a Pineville Property Protect Your Home in Pineville From Fire Damage Caused by Chimneys and Candles

Flames Are the Cause of Many Home Fire Damaged Related Incidents

Although fires in living and family rooms are less frequent than those in more hazardous kitchen areas, they can grow to large sizes more readily and more often than those in kitchens. Many living room fires start with an accident in the fireplace, when a candle is knocked over, or when an electronic device comes into contact with water or otherwise severely malfunctions. Regardless of their cause, these fires quickly find sufficient fuel in the surrounding area. If the fire is not extinguished quickly, it can create some of the biggest restoration projects SERVPRO finds in residential developments.

How They Start
Fire damage in Pineville living rooms typically starts from one of three sources: the hearth, candles, or electronic malfunctions. Fireplace accidents are easily created if proper safeguards such as containment bars are not in place, and can produce heavy amounts of smoke in addition to larger blazes. Clogged or unclean chimneys lead to many flare-ups and roof fires. Candle fires are often relatively benign if they start while someone is in the room, but can sometimes start silently when the room is left unattended, blossoming into a large disaster. Electrical fires usually require some accident on a resident's part to start up, so while those can become large very quickly, they are typically hit with fire extinguishers before they get out of hand.
 
Problems Faced in Restorations
The main challenge SERVPRO faces in restoring these fires are in their size. Living rooms may contain fabric carpeting and furniture, flammable bookcases, and numerous small objects that quickly spread fires out from their origin. Also, when dealing with hearths, large volumes of smoke may present additional hurdles. Before we begin any work beyond standard mitigation, we develop a clear action plan to tackle significant problems that arise. Through our expert training and superior equipment, we can deal with fires of any size given time.
 
SERVPRO of South Charlotte has battled many fires since its founding. If your home has taken fire damage, call us anytime at (704) 333-7737.