The Dangers of Mold in Pineville
Mold Can Spread Quickly and Cause Extensive Damage if not Remediated
Exposure to mold and repairs after damage related to mold can be quite costly both to the health of you and your family, plus your home itself. If you know the warning signs and what kind of damage to look for, however, it is possible to catch a mold problem before it causes property damage that is widespread, or even serious adverse health effects.
Warning Signs of Mold Damage
Mold needs the right conditions to start growing and creating mold damage to your structure in Pineville. The growth of mold will begin when a spore reaches an area which has enough moisture, the right temperature range, and a food source. Paper sheathing, insulation, wood moldings, carpeting or ceiling tiles all can act as sources of food for mold.
If you believe you have a mold problem, the earlier you contact a professional remediation company such as SERVPRO, the better chance you have at preventing or reducing widespread damage. There are several physical warning signs that can lead you to have your home checked for a possible mold infestation. These can include:
- Visible growth of mold
- Water stains or discoloration on internally facing ceilings or walls
- Water stains or discoloration on externally facing walls
- Musty odor
- Areas of condensation or standing water on walls, floors or window sales
Damages from Mold Exposure
If mold is left untreated, it will grow and spread, creating a variety of problems including physical damage to the structure itself, plus the contents of your home.
Structural components and building materials: Mold can cause major structural damage to your home since it feeds on and breaks down matter of organic origin. When mold infests insulation, walls, carpeting, or paper backing, these materials, therefore, need to be removed. Clean up, and removal can be a big inconvenience, but our staff at SERVPRO will work thoroughly and quickly so your home is back to normal as soon as possible.
Personal property: Besides causing structural damage, mold could destroy property inside your home. When mold adheres to personal property, it can be quite difficult or even impossible to clean. Many times, the item must be disposed of since the spores cannot be totally removed.
Ventilation and heating systems: Mold might also enter ventilation and heating systems. A lot of sections of the system could be inaccessible for a visible cleaning or inspection, so that is again where our technicians at SERVPRO can help. It is very important that ventilation and heating systems be thoroughly cleaned since spores can use the systems as ways to get to other areas of your home. If it cannot be cleaned or a moisture problem cannot be fixed, the entire system might have to be removed and replaced.
Mold can become a serious problem, so if you suspect you have a problem, you should let our staff at SERVPRO of South Charlotte know right away. We are available to help you out whenever you need us when you dial (704) 333-7737.